Thursday, February 09, 2006



















Orients of Red

It seemed as if every historic edifice we saw in Beijing was the same: red with a "traditional" roof. I love traditional roofs, and lofts, and if I ever own a home it'll have oriental features... but there are only so many similar sights I can get enthused about in 3 days. I don't know the name of the president, or if he's even a president. (head of communist party?) but this guy's gotta be important, cause his face is plastered on all the money and here at Tiananmen Square.

Tiananmen Square (dictionary.com): An extensive open area in central Beijing, China, the world's largest public square. Adjacent to the Forbidden City, it has long been the site of festivals, rallies, and demonstrations. In 1989 Chinese troops fired on student demonstrators, killing an estimated 2,000 or more.

Here we are entering the Forbidden City. I'm always doing what I'm told not to. I swear it's not forbidden any more. However, back in the day, the Emperor had 100 wives who bore his children and were "forbidden" to leave the confines of these walls... even after the Emperor died! No one was allowed in, no one was allowed out (except the Emperor). One Emperor supposedly had 40,000 wives and died in his mid twenties. What do you think about that? And what do you think about these sacred grounds in the capital of a Communist country that opposes capitalism sporting a STARBUCKS in the middle of everything. INSIDE the Forbidden City. Uh huh. What a disgrace! I've never been a "boycotter", just don't go because their hot chocolate sucks! But don't worry... it's red and has a traditional roof!


Sorry I couldn't make this shot bigger, it was borrowed off a fellow tourist (seen in shot below) Kelly and Julianne captured some better angles and I borrowed theirs for this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home