Sunday, January 22, 2006

I WANT MY MOMMY!!!

Well something bad has finally happened in Korea. I know some of you have been waiting 6 months to hear something other than "I absolutely LOVE Korea!", just so you could say, "I told you so." I've had overwhelming support of this decision from the start, but many people were worried and warned me to be careful. (ie: register w/the U.S. Embassy, lock my door, wash my fruits & veggies with purified water) I've heeded the warnings and taken most advice ... but some things you just can't predict.
Don't you just hate those people who say, "You're not gonna believe this, but no no I can't tell you." Why even bring it up, right? Well I'm not gonna tell you. It's just that when so
mething upsets me, I vent. And I vent some more, through every possible outlet.

Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life! I woke up at 3:30am and couldn't fall back to sleep. Most of the daytime was consumed by the musical our school put on. It was wonderful and that will be my next blog (think happy thoughts) but there were even some issues there. Despite my unreasonably happy demeanor throughout the day, I've counted 10 things that went wrong yesterday. Starting with my favorite student leaving our school and ending with a fight b/t foreigners. I helped keep the 2 idiots separated though, can't stand to see people fight. Have I mentioned how much I hate the foreigners here? No? Well I hate them.


But I LOVE Amy. Do you remember Amy? She was the first picture I sent home. Her 6yr old birthday party in my YALE classroom. Well I found out Saturday was her last day at Little America because her family is moving to another dong. She's so bright and sweet, I actually cried a little when I hugged her goodbye. I'm really gonna miss her, but I hope she's placed in a good english class at her new hogwan; she was way too advanced for the group she was in here.

After the musical, the staff had their usual dinner party at a Korean restaurant. More than 20 of us sat on the floor with all sorts of interesting morsels before us. Of course there was soju. And lots of raw, innocent animals frying in front of me. I had said I didn't want to come, but my head teacher didn't seem too happy about that. So I went and wish I hadn't.
Fortunately, the 3 foreign teachers I work with and I are all extra-supportive and protective of one another. If they hadn't been at my apartment when an uncomfortable ordeal escalated, I'd be on a plane home right now. No joke. But all is well now and I can't think of anything but the adorable little munchkin faces I'm gonna see tomorrow morning!
And the grand finale of my complaint session: I'm really sick. AGAIN! I'm not going back to the Korean nurse who sticks a needle in my bum and spanks me or the doctor who gives me pills that don't work. So I'm just waiting it out and hopefully I'll be better for my trip next week. I wish my mom was here to make me soup and listen to my whining. I handle most situations very well, but a common cold has me laying in bed, moaning & groaning to an unbearable degree. My mother's the only one who tolerates that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I hope that you are feeling better, You hate foreigners here but you go to the bars and you act suprised when they do stupid thing after beer and other things get invovled?

You are acting supprised because why?

That is why I have pretty much quit going to those types of places. The sportsbar and Beer Hunter and that Is it.

Please do not leave, this place would become real borring without you.

9:32 PM  
Blogger T & A said...

I hope hating the foreigners doesn't mean you hate us either! :)
I am still shocked and horrified over what I heard happen at dinner - and I have no idea of what happened when you went out....and im sorry your sick (Troy is too)!
We had an absolutely horrible day at work yesterday - which also nearly ended with us quitting....but like you we are choosing to 'soldier' on. Sorry I can't offer any funny word of wisdom to make things better.

I hope your feeling better soon - alwyn

3:05 PM  
Blogger zanigirl said...

Beer Hunter is where my LEAST favorite foreigners are! And the sports bar is where I meet the rest of the Quacks who couldn't function in their own country. I only go out for the few good people I've met and who's company I enjoy. (mike, u r 1 of course)
and to my "mates" (Australian couple), thanks for the empathy. I'll have to speak to you privately to catch up on details.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home