Tuesday, January 10, 2006



"Dan teacher Greer teacher kissing!"

Even I must admit.... they are the cutest couple. I usually don't condone marriage, but this couple from New Zealand is the perfect match and I can't wait to fly out to their country in a few years for the wedding. (Especially b/c it'll be during my winter and their WARM summer!). Individually, Greer and Dan are both amazing people and were fortunate enough to meet. Then I was fortunate enough to work with them at our hogwan in Korea and make them my good friends. Along with Taunya (the 4th foreign teacher from Kansas), we do stuff together all the time. You'd think we'd all be sick of eachother after the many hours we put in at Little America.

Speaking of our Hogwan, I haven't shared any stories about the students lately and I have SO many: first of all, they always say "Dan teacher Greer teacher kissing" and ask them about making babies because they know the couple is engaged. This New Yrs shot is probably their 1st public kiss in Korea.... but the kids have imaginations. They always ask me why I don't have a boyfriend and the conversations get interesting; they LOVE to speculate! Every time I have a new piece of jewelry it's "from your BOYFRIEND?"

It seems Love and affection are displayed much more openly in Korea than in New York. Though homosexuality is "unheard of" here, men wear pink shirts and hold hands. Everyone is very touchy: family, friends, business partners, etc. I ordered "duckbogi" tonight (sticky rice in red sauce) and the couple that owns the restaurant HUGGED me and the man said "I love you". The students constantly tell us they love us and today LUCY (who I thought hated me) went into her cupboard, took out a candy wrapper that said love all over it, handed it to me and said, "I love you Nicole teacher!" ugh, tug at my heart why don't ya? I'll never leave Korea! Then there are the funny moments that I crack up over. We have gas heaters in the classrooms and the students sitting closest to the heat always complains. Today it was Jason (who I call goofy)

Goofy: "Nicole teacher, me hot."
Me: "I'm hot."
Goofy: "Me too."

Then in my last class I was grading bookwork for my oldest boys. These were Jake's answers:

"Have you ever been in a blizzard?"
Yes, I have.

"Have you ever had a sunburn?"
No, I haven't.

"Would you like to go on a cruise?"
Sure.

I wish I could document every little moment here. While I am documenting "funny moments I crack up over", I now have a photo of the boys at midnight.

As far as I know, it was also Dan's first public dropping of the pants in Korea that night. Texas, New Zealand, and Canada unite.

2 Comments:

Blogger T & A said...

Not Dan's first public dropping of the pants in Korea (He dropped them on a crowded beach in Pusan!) But perhaps his finest dropping of the pants - as far as I can tell from the photos...and certinally his first communal pants dropping!
Sounds like everyone had a great night!!! Shame we missed it.
Alwyn and Troy.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I still can not believe that I dropped mine 2x times that night.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home