Wednesday, February 15, 2006


Service with a smile


They have this thing called "service" here in South Korea. Nearly every time you buy something from a store, they throw something in for free. Whether it be a kind traditional custom, their way of getting you to come again, or simply "thank you for shopping with us". I used to try to refuse "service" but I was told that's offensive. So now I just say, "comme somme ne da" (thank you) and take it with both hands (to show I am taking with 'everything I've got') It seems as though foreigners get EXTRA service, often making the free gifts' value equal to what we're buying. I went to buy an undershirt once off a street vendor for $3.00 (U.S.) and while he was getting a bag I picked up a winter hat I really liked. He took it out of my hands and threw it in the bag, yelling "SERVICE!" It was $7.00. This happens with food all the time too, especially at my little family-owned restaurant I frequent. I went in one time to order kimbop (veggies & rice wrapped in seaweed, for $1.00) and they made me sit down, set up silverwear and gave me a 3 course meal. Well I've gotten used to this kind of behavior, which makes me smile every time, knowing full well you'll never see something like that in NY. But today someone brought this Service to a new level.... and brought a new meaning to the word kindness.
Once a week we go across the street for pizza (the 3 foreign teachers and I). We need something that tastes like home and "Pizza 2001" makes a mean pineapple pizza. Today the other teachers wanted to try oven baked spaghetti. I've had it before & I'm not a fan, so I just got garlic bread. Whenever the 4 of us go out to eat, it really throws them off if we don't order exactly 4 meals. If we get an extra one they usually won't give it to us, which is strange b/c it's custom in Asia to share off the same plates. Well today the waitress got really flustered when I didn't order a proper meal. Upset almost. I was really only there for the conversation. Then I was heading out the doors to make the post office when the lady said, "Chakamon!" (wait a minute) She asked why I didn't eat and I was fumbling for an explanation when a pineapple pizza came out of the oven. The man packaged 2 slices, she carefully put scotch tape on them and handed them to me w/condiment packets (gotta put hot sauce on pizza!) .
She said, "service."
I was SO touched! I didn't know what to say.... other than "comme somme ne da". Then they packaged up the rest of the pie for my co-workers. Unbelievable.

Oh, and this past weekend I bought a computer down in Busan. It's a heavy desktop and very difficult to carry by myself. The guy I bought it from was incredibly sweet and helped me bring it all the way to the train station and on to the train. The attendant showed me a special place to put it and when I got off the train, everyone was grabbing onto the larger box and trying to help. Complete strangers, helping. Go figure. I was walking from the station to the cab line up when an Ajuma (older woman) grabbed onto the self-made tape strap and started dragging along. She kept saying "please help me, please help me, ju-say-yo" She really got into putting it into the cab too. We had to load it into the trunk and she was still saying "please help me" I thought perhaps she wanted money ... or some kind of help from me.... until her husband came up and told her to "let's go." She smiled and walked away waving. She was just telling me that I should ask for help. Then the female taxi driver unloaded the huge box at my apt., despite my protests. I wish they would take tips here. SO SWEET!!!!!!!!

Why did I put a photo of my niece VIOLET on this blog? because she's cute as hell.... and smiling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home