Monday, November 21, 2005

Nicole in not-so-rare form:

The "foreigners bars" in Korea FREAK ME OUT. I've gone to several & I get a really bad vibe every time............ from who? The foreigners. I've been out in Seoul, Busan, and Daejeon and always get uncomfortable. I turn from the wild party girl to a scared little girl in the corner; guess it's the large number of loser guys who come here for the Asian ladies - can't find a girlfriend in my own country, so I'll go where the women love Americans (or westerners). I've had plenty of guys come right out and SAY that's why. One Korean-American from Connecticut (who speaks no Korean) was a riot to hang out with up in Seoul. But when I asked him why he came to teach, he said, "To get laid." His friends had come over before him and told him "how easy it is." Wow. Poor kids. I look around at a lot of these foreign teachers and wonder what they're like in the class room. I've yet to meet one person who says they came for the experience of teaching the kids and helping them learn English. Usually it's for easy dating or b/c they couldn't find a better job in their own country. Hmmm.
Anyway, there was ONE "foreigners bar" in downtown Daejeon that I actually had a good time at. Vibe is there, but not AS BAD - owned by a guy who used to teach at my school. It's called J ROCK. So this saturday I went back there with my friend Danien. We had a really good time again, but sometimes I have to MAKE my own fun. (foreshadowing).
Ok, we enter and see a Korean teacher he works with and her friend. So we join the ladies and I buy Tequila shots. (THAT will make me more comfortable). There's a large crowd of white men standing by the bar, giving me the eye (gross) and I pretend not to see them. Then 4 korean guys come running in & head straight for the dance floor, jumping up & down, having a blast! They looked like so much fun. (really good dancers, turned out to be a band) Of course a song comes on I want to dance to and I join the boy band. They were SO FUN and NOT HITTING ON ME. I hung out with them the whole night; we even got Danien and the girls up on the dance floor for most of the songs. Justin the DJ is really good and he played "I like to move it move it" as soon as I requested it. So he's the best DJ ever. Danien went up to get a beer and heard the tall blond guy say, "I can't believe she's talking to a Korean guy!" ummm, buddy, you're IN KOREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course I made a BIG spectacle then, giving all the guys HUGS and kisses on the cheek. Then the song "pretty fly for a white guy came on" and I sang it REALLY loudly, pointing to all the white guys at the bar. Then 2 of the korean guys started pointing, not realizing what I was doing, and I told them not to do that (while laughing hysterically).
And the best part, I finally found a curfew that beats New York. We left at 5:30 am and the place was still jumpin. Good times, great oldies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home