Thursday, April 20, 2006




Warm Weather

I've officially busted out the flip-flops.... and once they're out, there's no turning back!
The moment I wait for all winter long is that day I can say, "Yep, it's FLIP FLOP time!!!"
The boots and thick socks go deep deep into my closet. That one little piece of plastic slides b/t my big toe and my patrician toe (longer than big toe) and I walk out into the sunshine.
Ahhhhhhh. I once moved to San Diego for the weather... and still thought it was chilly. Well now I'm in Korea, where people are way too proud of their 4 seasons. I try telling them we have the same 4 seasons back in NY, but I think they believe they are the ONLY country with this geological side effect. I must admit I'd miss snow if I couldn't ever see it again, but to trade it in for 80 degrees (fahrenheit) weather every day of the year... OKAY!
When packing for my year in S.Korea, I asked my sister if her housemate had any advice for me, being a young female who travels to South Korea every year to visit her family. She told me the word for "squid" and told me not to wear tank tops. I LOVE tank tops, but out of respect, I decided not to show my shoulders and donated them with loads of other clothes I was giving away. I wish I hadn't. Summers get hot here, and the younger generation is starting to show a lot more skin than I do. I'll buy new ones, besides... I've put on some weight that may require a new summer wardrobe anyway. Hey, as long as my flip-flops still fit!
So I've got lots of friends planning trips to Thailand and Je-ju Island (off south-western tip of S.Korea) in the near future. And a few who've gone recently. I was going to visit Thailand this summer with Jenny, but it's the rainy season and we decided to put it off til next winter. Besides, I want to spend as much time w/my family and friends as possible in the states this summer. I've decided to renew my contract with the school I teach at. I love it here. Tossed the idea over and over and seemed like it was the ONLY thing to do. I had no doubt. Now that I've told everyone I'll only be home for a couple months, I'm having sappy home-sick feelings. But if I think about leaving my kids or this life FOR GOOD in 3 months, I freak out. Can't do it. Wish I could have the best of both worlds.... but we can't have everything we want. One step at a time.

Well seeing I'm talking about warm weather and traveling, I might as well introduce my cousin Michelle. She's a free-spirited soul that loves traveling and meeting new people. She's been a dancer her whole life and appreciates the arts as well as "natural health". She keeps a raw food diet and prefers organic products and holistic medicine. All this in spite of her ultra-conservative parents. She's from my father's side, the Lawrences, and less than a year younger than I. We have great talks and I miss her. Last I heard, she was back in Costa Rica, but these photos were from a few months ago. She travels a lot. Usually with her love, an Akita named Kaya.


~ Bless Cous ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home